The Beginnings of Modern Lagos:
Tapa Street Police Station. Rifle slits in walls were provided for repelling attacks
Top: MacGregor Canal, built by Sir William MacGregor before 1900
Bottom: Glover Memorial hall opened in 1887
Top: House on Odunfa Street, plaster work executed by the last of the Brazilian master craftsmen.
Bottom: A typical Brazilian trader’s house, fantastic plasterwork but spoilt by the roof
Top: The picture above was taken from a coloured print made in 1859, in the possession of Lagos Yacht Club. At that time, there were 16 British, 2 French, 2 Italian, 3 Hamburg and 5 Brazilian traders in Lagos.
Bottom: The picture below is a panoramic view of the water-front in modern Lagos, 1961
Lagos: 1500 – 1961
Top: A picture of a Lagos Street taken about 1905 showing the steam tramway track running up the centre.
Bottom: Old Carter Bridge (1901-1931) in the background. The railway (foreground) went on to a jetty on the right of the picture where passengers from the mail boats travelled on the “attendant” to the ships lying outside the bar.
Balogun Street about 1910 showing the tram track laid in the roadway
Top: The original Supreme Court in Tinubu Square (1887); note one of Gov. Glover’s kerosene lamps and Registrar John L Otumba Payne’s office on the right.
Bottom: Methodist Church built in Tinubu Square about 1865, a tower was added later.